THE BENEFITS OF FEASTING

So you wanna know why I rock buffets ?  Here’s the top reasons why buffet style eating pimp slaps everything else.

1.) Intuitive Eating

Reason # 1 is intuitive eating. This is easily the most important factor in my mind. Eating buffet style makes intuitive eating extremely easy to do; why else would it be a common cultural practice all over the world? I would actually argue that true intuitive eating without a myriad of choices laying before as you contemplate what to eat and how much of it you should eat, would be near impossible to accomplish without something like a buffet. Unless you decide what to eat by strolling through a grocery store with every option imaginable before making supper how can you say it’s really intuitive? When you think about the nature of eating for humans and how it is such a social activity, Unless you eat alone, how can you possibly intuitively eat and at the same time allow your children, your spouse, your friends  to do the same ? How can this be possible if you are all eating a meal based on “what daddy feels like eating tonight” or even the what the cook feels like for that matter ?

2.)Insulin Sensitivity

Eating the majority of your calories in one sitting actually makes your body more insulin sensitive! I’ll be doing an entire follow up post on this so stay tuned, there is a lot to it but trust me it’s good to eat well when you sit down to a game of Mike Tyson’s Munch Out. Rockin’ buffets actually makes your body better at handling its own blood sugar. If you have even the slightest understanding of Metabolic Syndrome you would know that making your body’s cells more responsive to insulin would be a huge win. I’m sure you can piece it all together if you understand the simple idea that what you eat can effect your body. The idea I’m trying to illustrate here is changing how you go about eating that exact same food can also have a completely different effect on your body. The same number of calories spread over an entire day will yield a completely different result than eaten in one shot.

3.) Digestion

Eating the majority of your calories in one sitting improves digestion significantly. I’ll explain in greater detail with a post on digestion to explain how this works but trust me some people eat so little their digestion nearly shuts down completely. I’ve had plenty of people that were told by doctors to just eat more fiber but they were eating so little food no amount of fiber would have any effect. Then I showed them the way of the force and their toilet troubles were over. I would say 90% of the hard gainers out there, dealing with severe constipation can fix it with a good old buffet smash.

4.)Personal Freedom of Choice

With absolutely no restriction being imposed, you are truly free at a buffet. You might not think this is not an issue in achieving a healthy body but consider this: how do you think children feel when they are told they have to eat their brussel sprouts or else they don’t get any desert? It has a huge impact on them for life when you tell them they must earn yummy food by eating unpleasant food. Do you think they will eat broccoli in college with this strategy? It removes a very powerful stressor from the dinner table when both the group’s and the individual’s needs are respected at the same time. This makes eating completely stress free and individually empowering at the same time.

5.) Calorie Meter Optimization

Now when you combine the first four reasons they collectively impact the calorie meter. This is a big deal in my books. When people eat like a modern day Westerner, it can be more difficult to be in tune with exactly how much your body needs in terms of calories. You throw your internal regulatory system off when you’re constantly drinking Pepsi which has calories,  when you’re actually just thirsty for water which has none. (More on this in a post to come on liquid calories). Putting off all calorie consumption, or at least most of it to supper helps the meter easily do its job. It’s a good idea, regardless; if you choose one meal a day or five, at least follow a stable pattern for your meals. In my mind this is much easer with one big feast daily, this makes the actual meal patterns themselves intuitive. Your body gets used to eating at 6 pm, for example, and regulates all of the calories it needs rather well signalling hunger at precisely the same time and as long as you obey it keeps things on track and you take in exactly what you need for the next 24 hours (averaged). This can be done with a three meal a day approach but it requires a person to be very intuitive and be aware. Are they truly hungry every time they sit down to eat or are they just eating because they always eat lunch with their friends, or have it in their minds they need to eat a balanced breakfast, or whatever? Feasting once per day eliminates eating for the sake of eating which in the end becomes force-feeding. This might be hard for some to grasp who have eating patterns so engrained in their minds, they don’t even know what hungry really is.

6.) Value

In our modern world with economies of scale nothing beats a buffet for obtaining nutrition at the lowest possible costs per calorie without having to resort to an all butter, sugar, vitamin pill, potato and egg diet at home. The available variety at one sitting makes this worth it to me. So many people complain to me saying it is impossible to eat healthy.  “But Chief vegetables and fruit are so expensive!”  I reply, “What buffet do you shop at, homie?”  You can go right ahead and complain about the cost of eating a healthy diet and still eat enough to maintain your metabolism or you can do what I do: shut up, nut up and hit the buffet!

You can’t possibly efficiently produce the same variety as your typical buffet. That to me from all perspectives makes a buffet the optimum eating situation, provided it’s a good one. Go ahead, make a total of everything you spend on food in a month including lunches at work, breakfast, supper, snacks, special occasion meals for guests etc. It will quickly add up to a lot. If you meet friends at a buffet it’s still a social outing without having to buy a turkey  to roast at home… ha ha. In my experience consulting as a life coach helping people with budgeting to reach their financial goals, I can tell you that the average male is easily spending $600 a month on food. $10 a day on lunch at work is $200 a month alone. Perhaps some starving students are getting by on a lot less than $600 but your typical office worker is spending that much when you include the fancy pants coffee.

Even if you factor everything in, eating at a buffet everyday might run you $15  – $25 on the high end and $5 – $10 on the low end. It seems like a lot but lets average it out to  about $600 a month. In my opinion, that’s very affordable if you streamline the rest of your expenses and pull wasted resources together for arguably the most important thing in life: sustenance. But what if you currently spend $300 a month on food ? Let’s say you value your time at $10 an hour and spend an hour in the kitchen for supper. Cooking quickly becomes another $300 a month in “costs.” Do the math SON! If you make more than $10 per hour and you suck at cooking then just “work” an extra hour (or minutes depending on your wage) generating the price of your buffet. Time is the most valuable asset you have. Which brings me to number six.

7.) Time

You save so much time by not needing to cook that much variety in one shot. Furthermore you can immediately eat and depending on your lifestyle that might be a very beneficial thing compared to the average restaurant wait time. I for one love being able to eat at a buffet right after a workout without having to cook all of the tantalizing things that appear in my minds eye after working up an appetite. Quite a few years ago I was juggling a lot of projects and I had very little time to keep things on track. My solution? I tipped the worker at a gym to put my weights back and clean up which brought my time down to 4 mins to do my workout and I ate at a buffet across the street 1 minute later. You can’t beat that for time outlay to do what I needed to get done. Don’t get me wrong: I enjoy being creative in the kitchen but I’d rather work on a song than make the same old staple foods over and over week after week. I value my time highly.

8.) Matrix Unplugging Effect

When you go to a buffet and you can mentally remove yourself from the transaction of paying to get in, it becomes liberating. It removes the matrix from the equation by making everything entirely the same relative cost once you have paid to enter the buffet. This makes you decide what to eat based on your body’s needs, your cravings, your enjoyment etc., instead of the price of filet mignon vs a hamburger. It’s truly freeing. When you no longer you base your decisions on what to eat looking at the menu and pondering finances, your body’s true needs take precedence.

The other end of the matrix unplugging is not having a waitress serve you which in my mind is quasi-slavery having the job of pleasing people’s whims. Most buffets eliminate a good portion of this servitude. When I eat at a more typical restaurant, I usually tip very, very well because of how I perceive this servitude. Most people say ” Well that’s they’re job”. To that I say, “If that person was not bound by the need for money, they likely wouldn’t do that job.”  Now I understand certain cultural reasons why someone would want to serve others: a mother wanting to take care of her children, for instance, or in certain traditional practices, it is a sign of respect to guests to graciously serve others. The servers in turn get pleasure from the act. But that mostly doesn’t apply to typical restaurants. I certainly doubt every one of the waitresses I encounter loves me that much. Okay, maybe a few lol.

I’m sure you will see further down the rabbit hole how your mental perception changes your well-being and how you approach things can have a serious impact in everything you do as well. This Matrix Unplugging Effect is a major benefit in my book. I, for one, would love every restaurant to be a buffet because I think it would change society for the better.  But more on that some other time.  PEACE

114 Responses to “THE BENEFITS OF FEASTING”

1. Sue says:

Well Chief you may not be cooking on the stove but you are cooking on the blogs! Can’t keep up. We don’t get buffets here, not routinely, unless you’re living in a hotel. I am sick of my own cooking (in spite of expanding my menu) but in this part of the world the economics are a bit different and home cooking is much cheaper than eating out or takeout. Mostly I’m happy to do it especially as my kids then catch the bug and can look after themselves in the kitchen which I think matters, and it’s good family time too, and the quality of my ingredients can be the best, and I develop my own skills, it is rewarding, I make and use stock, I work out the ‘secrets’ of the chefs which is fun and illuminating, I feel I can talk to chefs and caterers not as a complete outsider – actually get their respect – but really this is largely dog in the manger stuff because I get your point! Can’t argue with any of what you say. And most of all, I could do with a break! I have cooked for 72 people singlehandedly, and on the weekend I cooked for 45 for a family function. Now I’d like someone to cook for me for a while … a long while … 🙂 (have you noticed that when you eat your own cooking the same day you don’t really taste it?)

• chief says:

I end up tasting it the whole time I’m cooking lol …. I plan on making a post on how to do buffet at home because a lot of our traditional dishes take a lot of preparation but there area ways of getting things organized and cook a variety. I’ll be cooking on the blog some more be ready…. lol

2. FranzW says:

My main issue with buffets is that that they use cheap animal products. which are of course from very badly treated animals. And although at times I do eat these products, I perefer not to and eating like that on a daily basis doesn’t seem right to me.

• John says:

I know what you mean. I use to be big into Paleo and spent a lot on grass-fed only meats, organic, etc. While I still do once in a while, I’ve learned to loosen up a bit with it. Sission scared me into a path I know now isn’t as horrible as it seems. If your body and mind are in tune, you can eat just about anything and tear through it. Stressing about the meat is worse than the meat itself.

• John says:

I should note, unless you have moral issues with aninmal treatment, etc. That’s a different story.

• FranzW says:

For me it’s only about moral reasons

• John says:

Ah I see…well you can ignore my initial comment then. 🙂

• Mike D says:

i’ve never understood why people care so much about how an animal was treated before it was slaughtered. no one ever cared about how my grandpa was doing when he was dying on the hospital bed waiting for a nurse to assist him.

granted, i’m referring to people who would put animals before their own kind, in some cases their own kids. i hope you are not one of those people, franz.

• FranzW says:

Ever since I was a kid I have had a strong affinity for animals. But no, I don´t put their needs above the needs of other people.
              I knew a girl that outright said she didn´t really like or care about people, but she loved animals. Perhaps some people think like that because they feel animals are more pure or something, I dunno. I´d disagree though.

• chief says:

Hey Franz,
      I have been to many vegetarian buffets as well. I agree the way modern agriculture is done it makes very little sense and on the other side of the coin vegetable production harms all kinds of small animals and causes suffering most likely to a greater degree using bug machinery. They just steamroll right over all kinds of little guys. I think weather it is a buffet or a typical restaurant of even the grocery store they most likely use the cheapest source of animal products. I am actually working towards only eating animals I have hunted myself and taken the time to thank them personally and treat them properly. I have done this for certain periods of my life but now I’m trying to organize it for the long haul, Besides for the most part I prefer a lot of vegetables based dishes.

• FranzW says:

Yeah thats true. Right now I only eat organic animal products, preferrably from organic butchers. Or game meat. It´s the best I can do. I also want to bring my air rifle to my new place so I can shoot some rabbits, there are so many here.
        hm now I’m wondering. Chief, you said you aviod pork. Would you also avoid wild boar meat?

Perhaps in the future I want to have my own chicken and goats for milk, eggs and meat. And go hunting or fishing now and then (will have to move to a more suitable area for sure).

• chief says:

I wonder if anyone has done a chicken coop in an apartment lol I would avoid boar yes, I will go into detail on pork post one, I may even tackle it today.

• Sue says:

Then you have to – have to – watch The Great Dance by the Foster brothers – http://www.senseafrica.com/ There’s a scene at the end of the hunt that shows you the Bushman (San) hunter’s relationship with the kudu and it might surprise you.

3. Donna says:

I guess I am wondering is it beneficial for EVERYONE to feast?? And does one just jump into feasting or do you work into it gradually. Overall I guess I am wondering if your temp must be high before you begin eating one meal a day.

Futhermore, as much as I don’t find enjoyment in cooking anymore, after years and years of grocery shopping, planning meals, and then preparing them…I would love to go to buffets everyday..I already can imagine the time saving..but with a family..I don’t see them ever eating once a day and thus I would still have to shop and stuff. Wish there was a solution.

• John says:

I know what you mean about the family. I have two kids and they eat three squares and snacks in between. It’s not an eating lifestyle they could do right now, and to be honest, I am not sure if one meal would work for kids with their growth and all. I bet they have different requirements…would be curious about Chief’s take on this?

On a side note, my oldest tried to “eat like Chief” recently as she watches me eat one meal. She made it until 10am…HAHA.

• chief says:

No kids are supposed to have access to stuff all day long. When I have kids they will have snacks available all day much like the boob they will be weened off of 🙂
        I will make supper available to them the same way I eat but I wouldn’t have the little ones do like I do at all. I ‘ve seen kids just fast intuitively all day and refuse to eat but I certainly would not set any schedule for them and let em eat as they “feel” with snack foods made available to them with their own cabinet and such. In traditional practice I’ve only seen fasting done post puberty.

that’s hilarious she made it to ten AM.

• John says:

Thanks for the info Chief. I was curious about that myself and have been meaning to ask you about it. They definitely eat very much anti-Chief right now…HAHA. I should have bought stock in whoever makes Goldfish crackers.

• chief says:

No donna I dont think you need high temp first at all and it will for some actually increase their temperature. This is something you want to gradually move to its really rough doing the plunge. Solution mom is on strike! lol Im kidding

4. John says:

Thanks Chief…I bet this will be one of your more popular posts as I know many people have questions about this eating style.

I rock the one meal a day, but admit I don’t have a ton of variety. I tend to eat the same 3-4 meals over and over again. They are also very clean meals to boot. I get full, true, but it’s been lacking the “satisfaction” aspect. I finally hit a Thanksgiving Day buffet the other day and while the variety was more focused due to the holiday, it was awesome to take whatever I wanted. Too bad I confused the gravy with a dark colored salad dressing as I ruined the finest plate of dark meat of the night. 🙁

• chief says:

oh Im sorry john I just laughed so hard, lol wow talk about buffet faux pas

• John says:

Well I am a buffet rookie. 🙂 It’s a running joke in my house still with no indication it’s dying out anytime soon, but I’m still mad about it. When I say I ruined the finest plate of dark meat, I meant it. 🙂

5. Troy says:

Chief, What are your thoughts on eating your one large meal in the morning? I love breakfast buffets and usually feel my best after crushing one at around 9 or 10 AM, and then having a light dinner around 5 or 6 PM.

• chief says:

I’ll get to the time of day eating stuff soon. quick answer supper time is better but you will see most of the benefits mentioned in the post either way just more in the evening. breakfast buffets tend to have pork and well that is going to need a post in itself.

• Graham says:

What is it with pork, I’m unemployed so I struggle to get money together for food, especially meat as it tends to cost more, and I’d love to know why pork can be bad, seeing as it’s tempting to buy sausages because they’re cheap.

• chief says:

That’ll take quite a few post Graham I’ll get at em there are no quick short answers to health, many try to sell easy to package diets and say simplistic things such as carbs spike insulin insulin makes fat so avoid carbs and your safe. If it were simple I would make one post I’ll get to em. I’m working on it all. If your struggling financially I would suggest making eggs and beans some of your staples.

• Graham says:

Can’t believe I missed a reply. Eggs and beans (baked beans) are definitely a staple of mine, but after eating loads of them I’ve started to go off of them. Hard to tell what I want to eat to be honest.

• Bob Dean Metal Dude says:

Ya I’ve definitely been transitioning staples every so often. Can’t stand taco bell anymore so now I do Wendys. LOL just kidding. (I do eat fast food though) I used to eat the crap out of potatoes now they’re not as appealing. Beans, atleast, chili from Wendy’s are getting old too. I miss just gettin full from egg yolk and toast as a young kid. YA RIGHT I never got full from that stuff. I could eat it forever! =)

• Graham says:

My main staple at the moment is chocolate biscuits. At least 2000 calories worth a day. Anything to get my calorie intake up, and I’m certain every pack I’ve ate I’ve gotten leaner, heavier too. I’m judging my bodyfat by how clear my abs are getting, and they’ve only gotten gradually better. I’m hoping if I eat enough calories I’ll get my energy back an be able to exercise, I miss heavy training but I’ve left it for now because I’m not in any state to take advantage of it and really get the benefits, and I seem to be gaining muscle just eating more, with a minimum amount of fat with it.

• Bob Dean Metal Dude says:

Can you elaborate on your biscuits a little bit? What do you eat them with, and do you make these yourself?

• Graham says:

60p from ALDI, they’re what I eat because they’ve got a fucking lot of calories (2000) in 1 pack for 60p, and I came to the conclusion I need to get more calories in me. Sometimes I eat them just after a meal, but normally I just wolf em down whenever I get hungry, which can be any time during the day.

6. Bob Dean metal dude says:

Thank you so much for dishing out these posts its seriously a buffet for my brain. I should be laying down but I just had to read this post and the comments!

I wonder how you plan to incorporate buffet style eating with the addition of only eating animals that you hunt yourself?

Not be an ass or anything whatsoever but are you still having people proof read stuff? I see a couple minor errors I know we all make mistakes I’m just bein nice an thought I’d mention. Lord knows I dont give a shit. =)

Went big on some salt today whoo I’m gettin thirsty gotta go eeeasy on the wata 😉

I tip 3 dollars or something 2.69 at golden coral and it comes out to be 16.29 or 16.69 someshit like that.

• chief says:

Yes I still have proofers if there is mistakes its most likely last minute additions on my part that have errors lol somebody should fix it shortly. I wouldn’t even notice it myself i never do. lol

plan on eating buffet style at home with things I hunt, I just about do it now when I’m home already. My next house is going to have a full service high tech kitchen that’ll pump out all kinds of stuff daily and I’ll have 80 -200 people over daily.

I’ll be doing a post on how I do buffet at home at this point without my upgraded “super kitchen of the future.”

• Bob Dean metal dude says:

Please also do a post on your idea of a “super kitchen of the future” and how you plan to cater all of these guests and what not that’s fascinating!

7. Corey says:

My only hesitation with buffets is the trans fats and pufas. Was wondering your spin on that topic? Or do you steer clear of those things if possible?

I still eat foods with those things from time to time, particularly now since I’ve been overfeeding really hard the past few months. Home cooked meals get boring when you’re eating so much.

‘Junk Food’ seems to serve a purpose for someone like myself who was starving for years on a so called ‘healthy diet’. I sometimes think simply enjoying what you eat is healthier and more beneficial, rather than stressing out over what’s in the food. Stress is probably worse than junk food…

I’m coming to the conclusion that eating as many different food groups as possible may be the best path to travel. After following Matt on 180 Degree Health, I get the feeling that’s his modus operandi.

• CHIEF says:

I’ll be I do avoid trans fats as much as possible if i accidentally eat them I’m not losing sleep but I try my absolute best. Pufas is an extremely hard one to dodge 100% of the time but I do try to limit that as much as possible. I’ll be starting on the nutritional part this week. hold tight buddy. junk food is definitely very good for certain people and very bad in excess with other people but you have to understand it before you can pronely make a call. I’ll get to that too I promise.

• Corey says:

Cool. My favourite junk food is pizza. I only have once a week. At least there’s some good stuff on the topping, lol. Mc Donalds is the antichrist (quoting Bill Hicks), lol.

• CHIEF says:

I have no fears of pizza its not as bad as people make it out to be you’ll see it on my plate in the feasting posts to come.

• John says:

Funny I use to go to a doctor that totally advocated pizza. Not often a doctor recommends pizza. Said the cheese, tomato, etc., weren’t that bad for you.

• Bob Dean metal dude says:

Ya I just ate a large extra cheese pizza and 2 subway footlongs for dinner yesterday with a barqs root beer. It was freaking delicious and I had no guilt. Lots of nutrition and energy in that. Wish they didn’t have to put soybean oil in freakin everything though.

Subway needs sour cream. Hell subway needs to be a buffet, and should have cheeseburgers. Okay I’m done…+_+

• Corey says:

I live in Australia, not sure whether we have root beer here…. I drink Phoenix ginger beer which is made in New Zealand. Very refreshing. I don’t find water very effective anymore. I use raw milk as another hydration option, usually mixing in some salt and molasses. Not as bad as it sounds, lol.

• John says:

Ginger beer is close…I have that when I hit Bermuda. As a British colony, it must be a European thing. Good stuff!

• nola says:

Well, I live in New Zealand..lol

I have been having hot drinks with molasses , salt and milk or coconut cream-
                it is nice!

• Mike D says:

Ginger beer is yummy. I’ve had it once when I was in New York City. Molasses and milk is a great combination taste-wise. It’s also a terrific way to get minerals back in you body ASAP if for some reason that is what your body is missing. Generally just yummy, though.

• John says:

You rock Bob. Now that’s a dinner! Warm and toasty after?

• Bob Dean metal dude says:

Hell ya dude lol. Although getting extremely hot or having my heart pound in my pillow etc..all that stuff doesn’t really happen anymore. I think my body is used to a higher overall kind of heat so it’s not a dramatic jump therefore it doesn’t feel as intense.

• John says:

Funny you mentioned that. When I went off the low carb, I starting eating a lot more AND introduced many new carbs. Now this was all still clean, healthy, non-processed stuff. Man, I would boil over I was so hot. Then as time went on, I just never got as warm. Up until lately – even though I smash huge dinners every night – I never really felt that warm anymore. Over the last week, I reached the point where I stopped eating as clean and just more or less started eating whatever appealed to me. Sure, more “junk”, but still healthy too. Now I get really hot again. In fact, right now I am really warm. I would have usually eated clean tonight but scored a date night with the wife so ate some veal…some pizza…some buffalo tenders…and some ice cream cake. Burning up!

• Steve says:

I don’t understand how you don’t get fat from eating like that

• CHIEF says:

the act of eating does not cause you to get fat, fat of course is made of calories but the conscious choices you think you make regarding food do not cause one to gain fat or not gain fat that is already predetermined before the first bite and its there everyone should focus.

• John says:

The power of the mind…and stress… 🙂

• mike d says:

And with the power of being awesome you can reverse all that. It may take someone a year or more, but its worth it in the long run.

• Steve says:

does your body temp stay pretty high?

• CHIEF says:

Not sure who your directing that one to steve but as far as my experience goes : I tend to wear shorts quite often even when its like 10 below with snow outside so my body temp stays high. The only times I have a drop in heat production within my body is when I do fat gain experiments because that’s when cellular activity drops. It also drops during dieting ( calorie restriction) because that’s starvation and naturally your body protects you against scarce calories by using less calories ( less cellular activity) but most people don’t realize obesity is also starvation just it has an increased fat mass.

• mike d says:

Prior to me experimenting with drinking more water, my body temperature was 98.6 or higher in the morning. After I’d eat it would generally be in the 99s. Nowadays I’ve found my conclusions were probably wrong as my temperature has dropped to the mid to low 97s and my appetite sucks.

• John says:

I do McDonalds sometimes after my slow burn workout. I might crave it a few times a year. If it’s one thing eatin clean for a year taught me it’s avoiding stuff only makes you want it more. Unless you just don’t like it of course.

• Mike D says:

Slow burn workout? And yea, eating “clean” is silly if you are craving “unclean” foods. I personally gravitate towards eating clean, but if it’s not hitting the spot I’m not afraid to grab some pizza or a plate full of rolls/bisquits. I love bisquits. What’s cool is that if I eat too much super processed things I start to think about shit like veggies, rice, and corn more than I do cookies or something.

• CHIEF says:

WOOO! this actually belonged in the balance post, this is a perfect example of intuitively finding balance. excellent comment I had to highlight it with a reply.

• Mike D says:

i’m so impatient i started trying to figure out things on my own lol.

you posting a verbal snapshot of your day really helped me further figure shit out. i’ve always been of the mindset, “he person X can do something, why can’t i?”

• Bob Dean metal dude says:

Would it make sense that someone like me doin the whole “volume” training at work all day and sometimes very strenuous activity, that I always gravitate towards a lot more processed stuff? I did and do crave some chicken broccoli atm =)

• John says:

Totally. Chief, this is exactly what I’ve been going through this last week.

• John says:

Interesting Chief…I wouldn’t mind learning more about that. I figured you wrong on the PUFA thing. We’ll see!

• CHIEF says:

well, I’m kinda like matt in that regard not completely nut bag about it but it is something to consider. I can certainly say it is not a “must” for fat loss.

• Mike D says:

when I eat something that is full of pufas I generally get sick. The only exception I’ve found is extra virgin olive oil and peanut butter. At least, that’s what I’ve found so far. I always loved peanut butter as a kid and when I started going all “healthy” I avoided it for a while. I usually feel really relaxed whenever I decide to eat some. Haven’t looked into it, yet.

• CHIEF says:

It may just be the comforting thought of eating what you want in this regard, not the actual food giving relaxing effects. If you always iced it your subconscious mind is going to categorize it with special attributes outside of it’s nutritional content.

• Mike D says:

that may very well be the case as the taste of peanut butter pretty sharply lost it’s appeal. more than a spoonful generally doesn’t taste particularily good. whatever the case may be, my sex drive increased when i introduced it and while the initial boost has subsided, my desires are stronger than the were before the peanut buttering of 2012.

Mike,

So your sex drive increased initally when you introduced peanut butter back? I find that interesting…curious if there is a reason why or if it’s just something that worked for you. Worth an experiment…HAHA.

• Bob Dean metal dude says:

Some food is better than no food right? It’s highly palatable and has a good amount of sugar too. Depending on the brand some even have some palm oil, so a lil saturated fat as well. What do I know? I’m just the metal tard =P

• John says:

I love PB…haven’t had as much lately but use to eat it by the spoonful. I used it a lot back on Paleo as it a protein source and low carbs (bad way to look at it!). I can eat anything with PB in it. Skippy Natural is where I am now…that is the one witht the palm oil. The true natural PB (just peanuts, salt, and maybe sugar) does nothing for me.

• Mike D says:

Within hours of me taking a couple spoon fuls my dick got hard haha. So, you’ll know pretty shortly if it’s going to help. After some time I noticed my anxiety started to return and I was slowly gaining weight. I stopped eating it as part of my daily intake, and have had only one craving for it since. When I had some it didn’t take much before I almost felt like puking, it was weird. I feel chief was right, that it was more of a mental thing. I realized I’m that way with a lot of foods. Lately I’ve only been eating exactly what I’m craving to see where that goes, as I often times try to eat the “healthier” version of what my body is telling me to consume. been eating some shit i haven’t had in yeeeaars, like jam on toast. it’s pretty crazy how specific my cravings get. yesterday i had pasta, but it HAD to be whole wheat penne regette and i HAD to have vodka sauce. so far i’ve been eliminating even more stress, which is crazy to me (but awesome) because I thought for sure all the stress i had left was mental. nope, i’m just as convinced as ever that body malfunctions affect our thought process waaaay more than psychologists will ever admit.

• Zach says:

This is also my biggest concern and something i am very interested in. I hate that every single restaurant or processed food has to use the absolute cheapest oils and fillers. Like does it really save that much money? If every company just decided to take a bit of a hit and use higher quality ingredients, we wouldnt have such a huge obesity and disease epidemic.

And then on the fiip side of things, everything at the Coop has to use whole wheat or other garbage grains and gums and “natural” fillers. Why cant i just buy a loaf of bread that has white four that is not fortified?? It drives me crazy that basically every food i eat has something stupid and unnecessary added to it. Anyway, thats my rant about modern food.

Corey, i agree that eating a broad spectrum of food is the way to go. I used to have the mindset of only eating the most nutrient dense foods. I actually had a list of the foods i could eat. Turns out that the stress from that was much more deadly then the supposed deadly grains and milk. Now that i eat what i want, i am much healthier.

• Zach says:

Also i stopped using any and all forms of supplementation. I dont even want to think about how much hard earned money i spent on vitamins, powders and pills.

Just eat a ton of food and your body will take what it needs.

• Corey says:

Yeah, I gave all that jazz away. Fermented CLO did nothing for me personally. I use digestive enzymes though (Genuine Enzymes brand), which are great when you’re slaying heaps of food.

• CHIEF says:

Can we even produce enough ” good oils” ? lets use coconut as an example, it would become rather expensive to buy for household use if the demand skyrocketed, if mc Donalds decided to switch to only coconut oil as a marketing ploy for healthier fries, it certainly would skyrocket. I’m not sure at this point we can produce as much coconut oil as we can soybean oil.

A lot of this stems from the entire business model used in agriculture and using resources in general. I’m anti matrix overall but at minimum having food and business mixed is a rather dumb idea when you look at it. How do you increase profits ? make fatter people.

• Zach says:

I liked Mc.Ds fries when they used beef tallow and went heavy on the salt.

• Zach says:

Also as an example, i love tortilla chips but there is not one brand that uses a saturated fat source. For that reason i cant mow down a whole bag without getting 30g of PUFA.

• John says:

I’m not sure how much I buy into the PUFA thing. When I frequented Matt’s blog, he was big on limiting them, but has since lightened up about them. I have as well. I think for me it was just one other thing to “worry” about and I didn’t need that.

• Mike D says:

generally anything i eat that is high in pufas makes me feel ill beyond a couple bites, so it’s a pretty easy choice for me haha. fried chicken is the worst. around where i live there are many shops that deep fry their chicken in tallow and it is BY FAR the best tasting fried chicken i’ve ever had.

• CHIEF says:

never had em with beef tallow, that’s before my time really.

• John says:

“Turns out that the stress from that was much more deadly then the supposed deadly grains and milk. Now that i eat what i want, i am much healthier”

Well said. I use to create so much stress over eating when I was eating 100% clean all the time. I can’t image all the hours or days I spent on ingredients, etc. Bringing the carbs back into my diet was an eye-opener. Once I wrapped my Paleo head around the fact that eating potatoes, rice, and pasta wasn’t killing me and packing on the pounds, I started (slowly) losing the fear over other foods. Now while I still eat clean most days, I have my “eat whatever” meals as well. Still ticking.

• Zach says:

One of things a out eating clean and scrutinizing diet that kinda screwed me up is that i know way to much about food. I probably thing about food over a hundred times a day. Not lile a fat guy but like how many macros, whats in this, how will this effect me, etc. its completely unconscious and gets really annoying. Something im really working on fixing.

• Zach says:

Subconscious*

• Corey says:

I’m the same – but that’s what 15 years of trying to be perfect does, I guess…… I actually enjoy shaking myself up a bit now, just to prove that I’m not gonna drop dead if I eat a couple of cookies or something, lol.

• John says:

15 years? Damn…that’s a long time. I was about a year and still have those issues sometimes. I can’t imagine 15 years worth!

• John says:

Yes…I know that feeling. When I was in the middle of my diet I was weighing everything I ate and counting calories. Looking back, that was so stupid. It did, however, leave some mental scars. While it’s getting better I still find myself (on occassion) thinking about the calorie count in something, etc.

• Bob Dean metal dude says:

I still think about the oils in the mayonaise when I eat a whopper. Would Chief smash whoppers? Big macs with Mac sauce? Idk if it’s been nationwide but Burger King and McDonalds have been havin a sale on their stuff and I’ve indulged, mostly the whoppers, several times. Don’t get me wrong It’s not like I ordered ten and that’s all I ate for dinner. They’d just be a side dish LOL

8. Zach says:

Chief, how many buffets do you have where you live?

I seriously think we only have two, one being a chinese and the other an Old Country Buffet. Neither are top notch. The only other option would be a few casinos that are 30min-1 hour away.

Whats a guy who lives in the sticks to do?

• Zach says:

Oh and i hate that everywhere has lunch buffets but not dinner. Who wants to fill up at 11am?? I remember doing that when i worked downtown and i was always ready for a siesta when i got back to work.

Zach,

Not sure where you live, but this sounds like me…Old Country and a few Chinese places. Nothing like Chief has…or the Vegas strip.

• CHIEF says:

I think you have an indian one ( the other kind 😉 of indians lol). I’ll be showing in the upcoming posts what I do in other scenarios but I eat buffet style at home in, fancy restaurants, whenever wherever. I also travel a lot and sniff out good buffets all over the place.

• Zach says:

We have a grwat Indian restaurant, one of my favorite places, but their buffet is lunch only as well. 🙁

• Bob Dean metal dude says:

Yeah I just have a lot of small china places, a golden coral and a big China Buffet. If I don’t go there, I spend a hefty amount at a restaurant once a week or so, and sometimes I’ll just order from different places. Get some subway, some cheesey bread from a pizza place, etc…Lots of money involved, but it’s totally worth it, why wouldn’t it be? My mom and other people have always shopped for deals, and bought and ate certain things based on what they cost. I’ve tried to eliminate that from my brain and just get something if I want it. It’s our lives, it’s our bodies, it’s the most important thing. We should spend some on that be it time or money, whatever.

I understand that a lot of people are in a tough situation and can’t do what I’m doing or what Chief does as far as eating goes, but certainly people can prioritize what’s really important to them. Is payments on a new F-150 worth it if I have low blood sugar and mood swings all of the time? Hmmm… LOL okay that’s a shitty exampel but you feel me.

9. Zach says:

I live in northern MN. its pathetic around here, we dont even have a Chipotle!

10. Mike D says:

chief, you wiley son of a badass, why didn’t you tell us liquid calories are so important?

• CHIEF says:

been saying it, trying to make it understandable is the hard part. There is a method to my madness people will make better sense of everything as more important elements are discussed first such as balance. FIrst part of liquids is the obvious water content, which throws off the internal balance but liquid calories is going to take a good deal of detail to fully understand. Everything is important. where to start is a mudderfucker and a half because everything relates.

• Mike D says:

I’ve hit a wall for a good month or so now and I just assumed it was mental stress because I was mimicing everything I could based on what I’ve read here/matts blog. I just assume you were drinking pop for the sugar, so I was always gung ho about eating sweet stuff but drinking water, but last week i made a couple decisions that led me to realizing I wasn’t taking “liquid calories” serious enough (btw i came to the conclusion that peanut butter is definitely something to avoid more often than not). You clearly drink a glass of pop with every plate, plus you even mention it in a sumo post as it’s own thing. I’m like, duh! Gave it a shot and woooooow what a difference so far. I’m waiting for things to stabalize before I make any final judgements, but this is very exciting for me. last time i remember feeling this “normal” was when I was 19, and i’m only 24 lol.

btw the only special rule I can think that you have concerning liquids is to only drink them when you eat solid food so to balance out the water overload effect. you probably drink no more than 8-12 ounces per plate it looks, too.

• John says:

Yeah I think I drink too much water. When dieting i avoided anything BUT water…it’s all I drank. Now that I’ve loosened up food wise I still haven’t changed the water part. In fact, the only day I don’t drink water is on Friday wh en I’ll have a few sodas with dinner. This week I started substituting my water at dinner with a can of V8…trying to see how this goes.

• Bob Dean metal dude says:

Ya I have dealt with, and still probably have somewhat of a liquid problem because of my lack of understanding as well as my habit of drinking too much. I believe wholeheartedly that aside from trying to eat low on the glycemic index, to eat low carb, to avoid pufas, to avoid sugar, to avoid dairy, grains, gluten, whatever, believing that peeing clear, and drinking a lot of water to “detoxify” and what have you, was one of the WORST things I’ve ever done. I did this shit for years and it would explain my receded hair line and thinned out top of my head for example. For years I’d feel like I was in a dream state a lot of the time from low blood “or should I say cellular” sugar. It fuckin ruins lives. I feel a lot better, and I’d say, if I’ve done damage for years it may take years to recooperate. All that I ask is that my waist doesn’t get any bigger, and it hasn’t. Just gotta go all out and get the weight gain over with. Now I’m waiting to master my hunger signals, intuitiveness, and fluid intake for the ultimate metabolic function and stress PWNERer so my love handles start slidin the fuck off.

It’s my love handles folks…They looove being there, makin pants not fit so well. Love…It’s a bitch. =P

• John says:

Classic post Bob…and why I love your posts and insight. When I was doing Paleo/low-carb, drinking water all day was the rule. The books all said drinking lots of water was vital to “wash away the fat” you are now burning. I was always cold, dizzy, etc. Man, I drank and drank, and drank water like a mofo.

• nola says:

Yeah, done low carb and drinking a bucket of water too!

It didnt seem to wash away the fat though- since as I never lost fat on low carb unless I seriously calorie restricted!!

I have been drinking less, and following some of Matts idea re fluids etc. I find it helpful.
              I am one of those who has drunken far too much water over the years, not realising that it is not the path to health and nirvana..

• John says:

Yeah most people do. I see it at work everyday. People are constantly refilling their water bottles or CONSTANTLY making cups of coffee. Once it’s gone, they make another.

• Steve says:

I love coffee, so I’m going to keep drinking it. Any tips on limiting the negative effects of coffee? I thought about maybe taking a few salt pills to rehydrate

• mike d says:

I love smoking crack but that doesn’t mean I should analyze if its really helping me. IM JOKING.

but to answer your question I have no answer other than a simple; do you feel the urge to increase salt consumption? Does salt taste especially good to you? If not I wouldn’t worry about adding more salt. Focus on stress reduction, buffet eating, and sleep before you try doing anything funny.

• Steve says:

I love the taste of coffee.

• Bob Dean Metal Dude says:

I love the taste of coffee too. I wish nutty buddies were good for you too. LOL

• CHIEF says:

When I was a little fat kid I loved the taste of sausage pizza but eventually you have to find pleasurable alternatives to things you know do more harm than good. I used to drink pretty heavily and I liked being drunk for some reason but it obviously was doing me more harm than good so I let it go. I try to avoid a very small list of food but no matter how awesome it tastes you have to ask yourself is it really worth it.

• CHIEF says:

HI steve, I’ll prolly have to post something on coffee but sadly there is more to it than simply causing too much fluid intake and throwing body fluids off balance in the process. I wouldn’t be able to suggest any magic pill type of solution to all the various effects of coffee consumption.

• Bob Dean Metal Dude says:

Yeah I understand. I used to drink a lot too, and eat all kinds of junk. I eat a lot of calories still but just better choices. Like I don’t like going to subway because all of their condiments are nothing but soybean oil except for the humble mustard I guess. I wish they carried sour cream. I also love to smoke, and even more so smoke when I drink. I dropped smoking, and I even got rid of my e-cig a few months back and don’t smoke whatsoever anymore, however I have had cigs while drinking on special occasions. I like it too much, I have to be honest with myself.

A lot of people smoke around me at work. I think about smoking (at least getting nicotine from a cig or an e cig doesn’t matter) at least once or twice a day. Its just like the nutty buddies but a lot more intense I guess. I know for a fact I don’t like the ups and downs the shit gives you. I can attest to the vasoconstriction especially while its cold. Makes for a much redder stomach etc…if you smoke in the cold. Shit’s gay…wish it was good for you!!! I think about drinking now sometimes just so I can enjoy a smoke. I like weed too but my job randoms I hate that too. WHAT THE FUCK =)

I also ate some sausage gravy and biscuits the other day. I didn’t feel like being the “I dont eat pork guy” that day and I thought it’d be tastey. and it was. Didn’t feel any different either, guess cuz I my resilience was good that day =P

Everyone has been talking so much on here and sharing so much information. I can’t keep up, and I apologize. I do read most of it. I’m just too sleepy or wanting/needing to do something else it seems a lot of the time. Then I have these moments like now that I just wanna share some stuff. Read it, don’t read it, it’s all gravy train 😉

• Bob Dean metal dude says:

Thank you very much John. All of our posts together help a lot because things actually make so much sense when the anecdotal evidence coincides with our own experience. If I said that right? =P I have some kind of liquid theory I want to post about when I have some time ah fuck it I’ll say it real quick on a whim.

So I’m not 100 percent positive but this seems like the case, check it out.

Say I eat in the evening number one.

A) my food is nice and salted and it gives me cravings to drink with my meals.

[I use something sugary whenever I possibly can because I know I need to try and top off my glycogen stores as best as possible to endure the “fast” and calorie (hopefully mostly sugar) expenditure for the next day until “breakfast”, when I break my fast in the evening =P]

or

B) I go to a mexican restaurant (obviously I’ve been trying to avoid this issue as I’ve become more aware) for example and eat a lot of food, but actually my food isn’t very salted, or just enough so it tastes pretty good but could be better.

With A – I drink quite a bit most of the time, probably some underlying ratio I subconsciously consume. Then later on I try and just sip on water and it’s not that hard cuz my cravings for fluid aren’t crazy because I adequately provided MOST of what I needed with my meal because of the salt helped me out.

With B – Say for example you eat a ton of rice, but it doesn’t have salt. For me, it seems like I don’t get very thirsty compared to having something salted well. This creates a situation where I get thirsty hours later, and since I eat in the evening it happens when I’m asleep. It’s like without the salt the body has a hard time calibrating the fluids properly and you end up really really thirsty when the foods in deep processing or whatever you wanna call it.

So this could affect a lot of things. First of all, it’s effecting my calorie intake. I would say there might be a significant difference in caloric intake salted vs unsalted. Maybe I’d eat less because I get satisfied faster with drinking more and having more flavor etc.. (sugary beverage) or maybe I’d eat more because the food tastes better and obviously if I eat more the fluids will match that and I’ll have better glycogen stores too.

So for me, eating a lot of unsalted food will cause me to become very thirsty in the middle of the night, I’ll drink a lot of water, probably too much. This affects how many calories I get, my glycogen stores, could maybe fuck with my energy levels and hunger signals because maybe I didn’t eat enough, drink enough, or drank too much water and diluted myself. As well as perhaps peeing too much in the morning because of excess water, and lacking the ability to retain because of the lack of minerals.

I’m not super 100 percent on the stuff, but it makes some sense to me. I at least know that I certainly don’t drink a lot when my food isn’t salted good enough, and the other night I had a lot of rice and stuff and didn’t add any salt, and I got super thirsty at night and since I don’t drink any sugary stuff post meal that will mess with my calories and stuff too.

Let me know what yall think about that.

11. John says:

I love the feasting and cook 5-6 days a night at home. The buffet life is really the way to go. While I admit I am mire protein fixated (to not lose muscle mass) I need more flexibility in what I eat.